Thursday, September 2, 2010

my love of camping

Anyone that knows me well knows that I detest camping. I really, really hate it. I would have made a terrible pioneer. But, we gave into our childrens' begging and this year, went to our Ward Campout at Schwartz park right outside of Cottage Grove. Despite my misgivings, we had a really great time. The best parts were watching Grandma Walburger cook a feast of goodies using various campfire techniques. We had reflector oven biscuits, giant cookies, a cherry dump cake and a peach dump cake. Holy cow...the woman should have been a pioneer. Next time we camp, we're hiring her as our cook. Another fun thing was visiting around the campfire and watching the Bishopric cook a lovely breakfast in the morning. Brother Stockford make us ham and cheese pancakes. That's right, the ham and cheese were inside the pancake. I was hesitant to try it but it was actually really good. By 11:00 that next morning, after a pretty sleepless night, we were ready to pull out. 18 hours of camping... I can handle that :)




4 comments:

  1. I loved camping as a kid. Now as a mom I can't believe how much work is involved. I always tell Ken just drop me off at the spa on the way home and I'll go camping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love these layouts! And ward campouts are usually always fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh memories. I saw Mom's tea kettle and all the year's of camping and camping food came flooding back. Maybe I don't camp so much now because my mom isn't there to cook for us! By the way, is that a computer on Lydia's lap? Didn't think that was part of camping!

    ReplyDelete