Wednesday, October 19, 2011

emotions and the organ

I had preschool at my house this week. Yesterday, we talked about emotions and feelings. I had each of the kids give me their scared, silly, angry, happy and shy face. I then interview each of them and asked them what things gave them those emotions. Some of the answers were hilarious! I will only post Lydia's out of respect for the other kids' privacy...but her answers made me smile. (as did her faces.)










This is my new hobby. (this is not the organ at the church...just a random pic I found on line...our organ is a bit more simple.) When I decided at age 32 that it was time for me to start learning the piano, I had no idea that it would eventually lead to me learning the organ. I have a great teacher (Sheryl Marchant) who doesn't let me take any shortcuts and expects playing perfection. She also pushes me to go way outside of my comfort zone (playing in the solitude of my house) and play in front of others. Gasp@! I started by playing the piano in Primary which was terrifying but got easier. The kids do not care if you make a mistake. A few months ago, I started playing the piano while Sheryl played the organ for prelude music in sacrament meeting. Do you know what I discovered? No one really listens to prelude music. (which was okay by me). Just a few weeks ago, I started playing the opening and closing hymn on the piano while Sheryl played the organ. Again, because the organ was so loud, no one could really hear me mess up. Finally, last sunday, I played the opening song on the piano with no organ to back me up. It went well. This sunday? I'm on my own... EEEK! Sheryl is out of town so it's all on me! I am so nervous! I am hoping to take one more big step and play the organ for prelude. I have learned 5 songs on it and will just play them really slowly. Anyway, cross your fingers for me...and maybe say a prayer or two. This is so FAR outside of my comfort zone but there's no going back now!

3 comments:

  1. The emotions page is adorable! What a great idea!

    And way to go on playing for Sacrament meeting. Your progress is inspiring. Makes me want to learn. Go, Andrea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am just glad that you can play the organ for your ward this Sunday, or it would be me that would have to substitute for my mom! You will do great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you are so awesome! I wish I could hear you play the organ at church--I'm sure you're going to be wonderful at it!

    ReplyDelete