Sunday, July 10, 2011

San Diego part 1

Wow, it's been a while since I blogged!! We just got back (literally...we got in at 3 a.m.) from our wonderful family reunion in San Diego, California. I must say, if there is one place that I think I could tolerate in California, it's San Diego. The weather is moderate, it's very very clean and it's near the beach. I enjoy visiting California but I think I couldn't live there for one main reason and that has to be the TRAFFIC! (and maybe the 110 degree heat through central California) But, we had a glorious time with my family! We stayed at a WorldMark condo on the beach in Oceanside where we played in the pool, toured San Diego and swam...yes, swam in the ocean. (We can't do that in the Oregon ocean) I am still uploading a lot of my pictures so I only posted two highlights for today. The first I actually scrapbooked. It was Casey's first 10K run at Scripp's Ranch in San Diego on the 4th of July. He has gotten himself into pretty decent shape and came in around 300th out of almost 2,000. That's pretty good for a first timer.





My favorite part of the trip was our visit to the Mormon Battalion visitor's center. If you ever get a chance to go...be sure to!! It was so well done and engaging for everyone...even little kids.

In this room, we are packing up to take our 2,000 mile journey with the Battalion.



Jillian was picked to be the laundress for the trip :)

This room had pictures on it that started talking and moving half way through the presentation. It took everyone by surprise!


My 94 year old Grandpa Richards and my 90 year old Grandma came with us on this trip. One night, they set down all of the adults and led us in a tearful discussion on our heritage. His wife, Margaret Jean, died before I was born. Maggie, my 3rd child is named after her. He passed around pictures and taught us about our ancestors. He also told of the times he got to meet different prophets. Thomas S. Monson set him apart to serve in the temple presidency at the LA airport...he served in the LA temple, and was set apart at the airport. :) Gordon B. Hinckley was in his home when he was a regional representative. He also got to meet Heber J Grant on his mission. He served as a bishop for 9 years and a stake president for 10. I am so thankful to have him as an example to my children! By the end of the "talk," we were all in tears and in awe at this wonderful man and the challenges he has overcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment