Monday, October 25, 2010

birthday disaster

Do you see this beautiful cake? I lovingly spent an entire day putting this thing together for Maggie's 9th birthday party this evening. The filling was chocolate mousse and the frosting was cream cheese. I hand sculpted the pumpkins, ghosts and spiders. I was so proud of it and thought it would be so nice to put it on the kitchen table, surrounded by Maggie's presents for her to see when she got home. I was gone for literally 10 minutes (picking up the kids) and when I got home, the dog burst out of the house, licking her lips. I KNEW that she had gotten to the cake. I was certain of what happened when I saw the horror on Maggie's face...I had sent her in first to see her cake. The cake was half eaten. In 10 measly minutes, 5 hours worth of work was in my dog's stomach. You guys... I have never been so livid at another living creature. I hurled her (literally) out onto the backporch where she promptly began puking up the cake that I had spent all day making. Sobbing, I called Casey, who thankfully understood how much time I put into the cake and was sympathetic. (I think I had a temper tantrum...haven't had one of those in years :)) He went and picked up a store bought one which wasn't quite the same. In the end, it all turned out fine and I can even laugh about it now (a little) but my dog's days in my home may be numbered. She is sleeping out in the garage right now and will not be allowed back into my house.



I'm so grateful I took a picture of it before placing it on the table.


(((((((tears.....))))))))))))))))))))

Here is Maggie with her store bought (not terribly tasty) cake. It got the job done though and thanks to her grandma and aunt charlotte, she was spoiled rotten with gifts. All in all, she had a great 9th birthday.
We also celebrated casey's 37th birthday and he got some nice loot. His sister put together a package with a pair of Superman pajama bottoms and a new shirt. (It's a large!!! He is officially too small for XL)
Casey, sporting his new duds. 25 lbs lighter and feeling GREAT!

4 comments:

  1. I would have freaked out too! That was a gorgeous cake! You are a cake artist, girl.

    And I love the superman pjs. Those are awesome. :) Congrats to you guys still going strong with your health and fitness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so sad. What a gorgeous cake, though. My kids have always begged us to get a dog, and now I have another story I can tell them as to why we will NEVER have one.

    You are amazing!! Seriously, that cake is amazing. I'm going to attempt something creative for Bella tomorrow and I am truly afraid...I am no good at it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have totally confirmed the no dog idea in our house. Gah! I am so sorry about your cake, it was gorgeous! And Casey looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh NO!!! I would have died. The dog would have died. It would have been a bad scene. Those ghosts and pumpkins were adorable too!! I'm surprised the dog isn't still throwing up and alive. We aren't dog people. we have a cat. That's it. I'm glad she still got a cake and Casey came through in a time of need! (Alex has had those phone calls from me before too haha)

    ReplyDelete