Friday, June 5, 2009

End of school fun

Well, school is out today! I dropped the kids off at school for the last time this morning. Due to statewide budget cuts (thank you bad economy) the schools had to cut 15 million for this year and next in our district alone. As a result, we lost five days this year and they cut five days next year. That means that every other week next year is a four day week. Ughh. They are cutting things like after school sports, extra curricular stuff and school supplies. I don't understand why, when there's a drop in tax revenue, the government has to first attack the schools? There is no drop off in their wages, no cut to needless social services, welfare or other wasteful spending...nope, they threaten the schools. I guarantee, if our politicians did some honest soul searching, they would easily find 15 million in stupid, wasteful projects to cut instead of ripping off the schools. As much as I love Oregon, our liberal, Democrat run government leaves alot to be desired!

Anyway, I posted a few scrapbook pages of events that happened in the last week. Enjoy!



Hendricks park is beautiful this time of year.




Charlotte performs her Safety Patrol duties!

3 comments:

  1. I know, I can't believe it's summer already!!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE your safety patrol page. How CUTE! Congrats, Charlette on being a safety patroler. How cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute pages. I'm totally with you about the schools getting their budgets cut first. Honestly, it reminds me of a few years back when the Governor wanted a tax hike that we voted against -- so he punished us by cutting the friggin' school budget! Ugh.

    Here in So. Oregon, our district wanted to cut days (in order to save programs and some jobs) but the negotiators came back and said, "Nope, not accepted." Ridiculous. I would be fine a few days off the school year if it means that we can keep our music programs, and our classrooms reasonably sized. We didn't lose any days this year -- but the jury is still out for next year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember being on the safety patrol at Ridgeview! I was in the first 5th grade class at the school. Ah, Memories!
    Maria

    ReplyDelete