Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Release

This last Sunday, Casey was released as the Bishop of the Springfield 3rd Ward. It was a really tough day but one that we had prepared ourselves for. His 5 year mark had come and gone so we knew that this was coming. We were still a bit shocked and sad when the release interview happened though. Sacrament meeting on Sunday was beautiful. The spirit was very strong and I think it witnessed to most people that this change was what the Lord wanted. Our new bishop, Bishop Blair, will be wonderful. As for Casey, he was just called to be the Stake Young Men's President. So, he is already buried in new things to do. I think that is a good thing as he doesn't really have time to look back too much. Instead of re-hashing my feelings here on this blog, I just attached a bit of my journal entries. The stake president encouraged me to keep a journal of the things that I was feeling and my reflections on the last five years so I did it. Here is a portion of what I wrote:

"After almost 8 years of serving as Bishop or in a Bishopric, the Lord is giving me my husband back. Charlotte was 4 when Casey stopped sitting with us at church. That means that none of my children remember or even know what it’s like to sit with their father in sacrament meeting. They don’t know what it’s like to leave for church as a family and then actually go home together at the end of the meeting. The Lord is giving my children their father back. And yet, in spite of this, we are not jumping for joy like I would have thought was natural. So, this week I have struggled to answer these questions and come to grips with just what exactly we are mourning the loss of. Through lots of tears and prayer, I think I have figured some things out.

First, I don’t think that the Lord likes us to get too comfortable in our callings. He likes us to grow in the Gospel. Perhaps that’s why Bishops usually only get five years. By their five year mark, they probably are pretty comfortable with what they are doing. Perhaps it is time for Casey to grow in other areas of the Gospel.

Second, the Lord has poured out His spirit and His blessings onto our home and family. A part of me worries that that spirit and those blessings will suddenly disappear the moment he’s released. I have to keep reminding myself that just because we are no longer the Bishop’s family, it doesn’t mean that those blessings and that spirit are going to go away. As long as we serve hard in any calling He gives us, we are worthy of those blessings. I think the thing that makes it different is that we daily feel the prayers and love of other Ward members that pray for the Bishop’s family. We have felt their love which has helped improve the spirit in our home.

Third, I have loved watching Casey grow in this calling. I have always been enamored with him from the day we were married but I adore him even more now, after seeing the man that he has grown into. I have loved being his personal “cheerleader.” When he comes home after a rough night of meetings or if he is struggling to write a talk or fulfill an assignment, even though he couldn’t always unload his burdens on me, I could always cheer him on and give him encouragement. I have loved the way that our marriage and been fortified through this calling.

Fourth, even though it has been challenging to not have a husband around on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday nights and all of Sunday, the joy that we have gotten from watching him as Bishop far surpasses any hardship his absence may have caused. Even though the clock and the calendar told us that we were seeing less and less of him, somehow the Lord compensated us with more quality time than we’ve ever had as a family. I know that Casey felt great joy in serving this Ward. Watching him feel that joy, gave me great joy. "

2 comments:

  1. Oh my, I'm all teary-eyed here at my desk at work (it's my lunch break!). That was a very touching post, Andrea. Thank you for sharing some of your feelings. You have an amazing family and I think Casey was a great Bishop, even if he wasn't mine. I am in awe of Bishops and the load they carry. I know how much I appreciate Bishop Richardson and all he's done for my family and the rest of our ward. I do pray for him--it never occurred to me to think about the rest of the ward doing that too and how it could potentially affect the family (duh). Anyway, I'm rambling, but I really appreciated your post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful post. You guys are so incredible. I feel so blessed to know you!

    ReplyDelete