Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Parenting, then and now



You ever get that feeling that you can't possibly be as old as your parents were when they were raising you? To me, my parents seemed so old and wise when I was a kid. They could do nothing wrong...they had all the answers, they were safe. Now that I'm a parent, I realize that they were exactly my age when they were raising me. Therefore, my kids must see me the same way that I saw my parents. For some reason, I don't feel wise and all-knowing. I feel like I'm still a very young adult...just winging it from day to day. Did my parents feel the same way about themselves? If so, they sure hid it from us kids. (or maybe they didn't and we were just too young to pick up on their insecurities.) Today was one of those days when I pondered how my kids would describe me, as their mother, when they are adults. Would they describe me as loving, patient, wise, safe? I honestly don't know.

I have the greatest parents on the planet...don't even try to compete with them, you can't. :) How was I so lucky to be born into the strong, righteous family that I was blessed with. Had I not, what would I be like now? Everything that I have, everything that I am is a direct result of their tutelage, kindness, and example. I hope that someday, my kids will feel the same way...lucky to be born into our family...it's a lot to live up to.


This is the scrapbook page that I finished today that set off my reflective mood.

this quote kind of sums up how I've been feeling today!

1 comment:

  1. What a sweet tribute to your parents. (Though, I hate to say it, mine definitely are the best! LOL). I totally agree that it's hard to believe that we're now where they were. It gives me new respect for all they did, knowing that they didn't feel as old or as wise as I thought they were when I was a kid! I too hope that my little ones come out grateful for their childhood. I strive everyday to be a better mother, and I feel that I miss the mark nearly all of the time. I hope that the Lord makes up the difference and those little ones in my care still turn out alright!

    ReplyDelete